The award winning after school program at LaAmistad @ Peachtree Presbyterian Church marked the first after school program offered by LaAmistad, Inc. Started by Bill Maness in 2001, this program has been a wonderful marriage between children in need of extra help with their schoolwork and volunteers in the Atlanta area who have been willing to give of their time, talents, and treasures.
Students arrive by bus at The Gym at Peachtree where they are able to have a snack and burn off some energy or socialize before walking across the church’s campus to meet their volunteers in one of eight classrooms provided to LaAmistad students. There students work on homework and school projects, read, and play academic games with volunteers until dismissal at 5:30pm.
SUNDAY STUDY HALL
LaAmistad @ Peachtree Presbyterian Church opens its doors every Sunday during the school year for Sunday Study Hall. Students may use this time to complete projects, get a head start on their homework, catch up in their classes, read, or play academic games. Many of our students live in small, loud apartments with little room or resources to complete schoolwork, making Sunday Study Hall a much needed time and space for our after school students.
Mental, physical, and emotional health and wellness are key components to developing successful students. LaAmistad @ Peachtree Presbyterian Church supports growth in these three areas by giving our students the opportunity to participate in a wide range of extracurricular activities. Through our partner organizations-- The Gym at Peachtree, The Cooler, and Casa de Cultura-- our students are able to participate in the following: hockey, in-line skating, basketball, flag football, soccer, dance, gymnastics, Capoeira, music, chess (with Orin "Checkmate" Hudson), science, and Girl Talk (for middle school girls).
Fact: In 2006, only 32% of Hispanic children eligible for pre-school were enrolled. Preschool has proven to be the number one educational resource for bridging the achievement gap in students. LaAmistad @ Peachtree Presbyterian Church and its partner organization Peachtree Presbyterian Preschool (http://www.peachtreepresbyterianpreschool.org/) provide eligible children the opportunity for preschool. We believe that every child’s first learning experience should begin in an environment in which he or she can grow cognitively, socially, emotionally, physically and spiritually. Peachtree Presbyterian Preschool provides children with just this.
Sundays - 2:30-5:00pm Mondays/Wednesdays - 4:00-5:30pm Tuesdays/Thursdays - 3:30-5:00pm
Elementary school hallway of Peachtree Presbyterian Church
Directions to Classrooms:
Enter Peachtree Presbyterian Church through the Family Commons building, which faces Roswell Road; go up the double staircase in the building's lobby (the 2nd Grade classroom is at the top of the staircase); for 3rd-8th Grades, take a right at the top of the staircase and head down the ramp; take a left at the end of the ramp to find your classroom; for 1st Grade, go down the ramp and take a right, take that hallway to its end and turn right; the classroom will be to your immediate right.
We are always looking for new volunteers to help out with our award winning tutoring and mentoring programs.
THE WOW! (Subject to Editing/Updating based on 2011-2012 School Year Statistics)
- Books: elementary, middle, and high school reading levels
- School Supplies
- Games: chess, board games, puzzles, educational games
- Sponsorship for field trips and summer camp
- Tickets to movies, sporting events, concerts, and shows
- Gift cards: Publix, Target, Kroger, Walmart, etc.
- 98% of LaAmistad students live below the poverty line.
- 100% of LaAmistad students meet or exceed the CRCT test scores.
- 2004 winner of the Atlanta Public Schools A+ Community Achievement Award
- 2009 winner of the Atlanta Public Schools A+ Mentoring Award
- 90% of our students read at or above grade level.
- LaAmistad students score 26% higher than their Latino peers on the CRCT overall.
- LaAmistad students score 24% higher than their Latino peers in Math.
- LaAmistad students score 18% higher than their Latino peers in English and Language Arts.
- LaAmistad served over 75 students from preschool through high school.
- LaAmistad awarded 120 sports scholarships through The Gym at Peachtree, allowing LaAmistad students to participate in hockey, skating, basketball, dance, and gymnastics.
- More than 250 volunteers gave over 5,000 hours of service.
- Nearly all LaAmistad students maintained an A/B average.
- LaAmistad students won a total of 32 school-sponsored awards in subjects like science, writing, and art.
- Breakthrough Atlanta, a highly competitive youth leadership development program that provides year-round academic enrichment from sixth grade through college, accepted 11 students from Sutton Middle School, 6 of whom were LaAmistad students.
- LaAmistad sent 32 students to Inspíra summer camp through The Latin American Association for six weeks of academic enrichment.
- 15 LaAmistad middle school students participated in the Latino Youth Leadership Conference, where they learned about future educational opportunities, leadership development, and good decision-making.
Peachtree Presbyterian Church
3434 Roswell Road
Atlanta, GA 30305